November 20, 2012

A Poem for Thanksgiving



In honor of Thanksgiving I'm sharing this poem by Mary Oliver. A printed copy of this poem has been riding on my refrigerator door for several years now. 

My days are all full of visiting and turkey talk and menu planning, with small bits of design work and carpooling thrown in the mix. If I don't make it back before Thursday to wish you the happiest of Thanksgiving days, know I am thinking of you all and listing my blog friends among all of life's gifts. I am so thankful that I decided to stick my toes in the blogging waters and that you are all here, walking the shoreline with me. Thank you for reading, writing, dropping me notes, and being by my side.

~

There are a lot of words meaning thanks.

Some you can only whisper.

Others you can only sing.

The peewee whistles instead.

The snake turns in circles,

The beaver slaps his tail

on the surface of the pond.

The deer in the pinewoods stamps his hoof.

Goldfinches shine as they float through the air.

A person, sometimes, will hum a little Mahler.

Or put arms around old oak tree.

Or take out lovely pencil and notebook to find a few

touching, kissing words.


- Mary Oliver

11 comments:

  1. Beautiful poem Jenny... have a wonderful Thanksgiving my friend! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have a great weekend Tracy. I'm thankful to call you my friend :)

      Delete
  2. I really like that poem. I'd never come across Mary Oliver until I found your blog Jenny - thank you for introducing her to me. I am also thankful that you dipped your toe into the blog waters, and wish you and your family a very happy Thanksgiving. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you're wading in with my Gillian. It's been fun getting to know you!

      Delete
  3. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours, Jenny, and thank you for sharing Mary Oliver's lovely poem :) xx from Gracie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Thanksgiving Gracie. Hope your family has a delicious day.

      Delete
  4. thanks for letting me know you enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was really lovely! Thank you for sharing it! I'm a little behind on my reading and it's Thanksgiving morning and I'm catching up here, so this was quite timely!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. Hearing from you makes my day!