March 21, 2013

how to love this world






Two days ago I made vegetable curry for the first time ever. It was tasty and my whole family liked it. Honestly, I had never used coconut milk in a recipe before. I know that may be shocking but I'm a girl who lived my entire senior year in college eating almost exclusively Doritos and Minute Rice . . . soooo . . .

Yesterday we welcomed the first day of Spring.

Today is National Poetry Day and the sun is shining. Also today — Izzy relaxed on the couch with her tongue sticking out in that incredibly adorable way animals sometimes do.

Tomorrow is Friday and nobody can be uncheered on a Friday.

Yes, I'd say there is much to celebrate this windy week in March.


~
 
Spring

by Mary Oliver

Somewhere
    a black bear
      has just risen from sleep
         and is staring

down the mountain.
    All night
      in the brisk and shallow restlessness
         of early spring

I think of her,
    her four black fists
      flicking the gravel,
         her tongue

like a red fire
    touching the grass,
      the cold water.
         There is only one question:

how to love this world.
    I think of her
      rising
         like a black and leafy ledge

to sharpen her claws against
    the silence
      of the trees.
         Whatever else

my life is
    with its poems
      and its music
         and its glass cities,

it is also this dazzling darkness
    coming
      down the mountain,
         breathing and tasting;

all day I think of her—
    her white teeth,
      her wordlessness,
         her perfect love. 



"Spring" by Mary Oliver, from New and Selected Poems. © Beacon Press, 1992. 

18 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos, Jenny. I love that poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miss Izzy is such a cutie and so is your chickadee friend. :) We had a new to us soup this week too and I'm ready for more. Unfortunately it is still blizzard conditions... on the bright side, that is good soup weather! Have a wonderful spring weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my...what a beautiful poem you've shared! I use lite coconut milk often and you can sometimes find it on the dollar shelves at the grocery store. Your dog is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that poem lovely? That Mary Oliver sure can write.

      Looking up more coconut milk recipes - if you have a good one I'd love to hear it.

      Delete
  4. Spring has deserted us. Love these glimpses of your welcoming home and thanks for the reminders to look for the good things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mairead - as I type this reply it is SNOWING here. Looks like winter has crept back in for a last hurrah. Hope it warms up there for you.

      Delete
  5. I adore today's photos! Izzy is the cutest pup and the little bird so sweet. I really like the colours you have in your house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol. The little bird and his friends are hard to photograph! They flit away every time I lift my camera. I was pleased to get this lucky shot.

      Delete
  6. Izzy...So sweet!
    +Soup...Sounds delish!
    +Poem...Lovely
    +Home...Pretty
    _____________
    =Awesome Post!

    Enjoy Your Weekend, penny x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Karin Clark-CassensMarch 22, 2013 at 7:37 AM

    Thanks for a great start to my day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Poetry day...and I missed it. Your little dog asleep on the sofa looks so perfectly comfortable...a very pleasing photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, she has a perfectly comfortable life, for sure. Not a worry in the world, treats whenever she asks and lots of snuggles.

      Delete
  9. Wonderful poem. I like your words and your photos very much. Curry with coconut milk - mmm. My two wont eat anything too spicy but the grownups in this house love curry.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nen what amazing pictures and poems. I love the lamp btw

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now explain to me exactly how I missed poetry day? Love, love, love it all. I keep saying I am going to get shots of my birds at the feeder.

    Love the poem. Oh Mary Oliver, if only I had your eyes.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. Hearing from you makes my day!