November 13, 2012

Colonial Times


Image by Jerry Patterson

All that Thanksgiving/Pilgrim talk yesterday started me on an online quest for everything colonial. I spent a couple hours last night reading all about candle making (I want to do this SOON) and watching videos produced by the people in Colonial Williamsburg. By bedtime I had decided that someday I want to go live and work in Williamsburg — even if it's just serving food at the tavern for a short time.

This was one of my favorite videos (click here - it's just 6 minutes long). I'm amazed at how easy these folks tackle the tasks of shearing sheep and spinning yarn. 

Today I am wishing I lived in the 1700s. *sigh* Here is the link to the Colonial Williamburg site — lots of fun stuff to read and drool over.

Question: Have any of you made your own candles before? Did you use soy or bees wax? I'd love to hear any thoughts of candle making tales. Do you think I can get my family to support a 'candle light only' approach to interior lighting?





6 comments:

  1. I had a little sideline business a few years back making candles and wax melts. I used soy as I liked the whole natural, eco-friendly thing. Plus being veggie based means it was easier to deal with wax spills.

    I enjoyed it but stopped due to the rising cost of raw materials, postal charges, import duty (I used to buy my fragrance oils from the US) and the economic downturn that affected my sales. It just wasn't financially viable any more :(
    I may take it up again in the new year but just for my own personal use.

    I think I still have details of US suppliers if it's any help. Whether they're still in business is another question.

    Ruby x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love some supplier info Ruby - thank you!

      Delete
  2. I'm laughing here because you wouldn't have made it on the Mayflower in the 1600's, but things are soooo much more advanced in the 1700's that you're movin' in? hee hee hee Just don't spill wax on that fancy 1750 dress! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I'm so weird! I just want to go back to the fun and cozy parts. Not the parts where there are animal poo and I'm really cold.

      Delete
  3. Wow! I love the video~Sheep need jobs! I'm going to buy more wool. I've always loved the old ways and since I am from Pioneer stock (they came from England and crossed the plains, settling in SLC in the 1860's) living off the land and doing things with simplicity has always intrigued me. We have a National park here at the site of Old Fort Vancouver-owned by the British fur traders, we go down often and tour through when they have the reenactments etc-I love it and want to move right in, until I realize how chilly and dirty it would be, in reality I'm a wimp!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Old Fort VC sounds like a really fun place. I'm right with ya when it comes to the reality of pioneer life though. The cold and smelly parts sound terrible. Plus I like taking a hot shower every day, not a warm bath once a week in water someone else already bathed in! Ew.

      Delete

Thank you for your comments. Hearing from you makes my day!