September 21, 2012

Orange you glad . . .



. . . it's Fall!





























Tomorrow we welcome the Autumn equinox, and my yard is already plunging ahead into the new season. It seems the Amer Maples like to jump in first with their shocking reds, and those who favor firey oranges follow right behind. Next the whole creek bed of Cottonwoods will erupt in a sea of bright yellows and deep ambers. Then the aspens with their quaking golds will be some of the last to turn, followed by the Willow holdouts. Those willows are true Summer lovers, always the first to leaf out and the last to give up the ghost.

The nights are cold but we're still sleeping with the windows open. The owls have been hooting up a gray storm every night. I snuggle under the blankets, close my eyes and let their deep voices lull me to sleep.

Thus begins my favorite season. I hope it lingers and lingers.

13 comments:

  1. Sigh... and I hope it blows this way!
    I love this season, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've had a long dry spell and I think that is why I am looking forward to the rain-that is what fall usually brings for us. Love the colors :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dry here too - no rain to speak of. I could do without Fall rain but we could use a little right now to squelch out a big fire burning south of us.

      Delete
  3. I am glad! I love Fall/Autumn. It's turned cold here - we switched the heating on today. Your photos are gorgeous, so full of colour. The trees haven't started to turn much here, but soon will be be collecting leaves and making nature displays.

    Thanks for you email by the way! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been turning on the heat here too. Brrrr.

      Delete
  4. Those are really amazing! arg why do I live on the Texas coast?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful, beautiful post Jenny. I LOVE amur maples. If we lose one of our big trees that is what I want to plant. Love that florescent orange stage. Wish we had owls to lull us to sleep too. Have to settle for sirens. (Live too close to the fire hall.) :) Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tracy. I love amur maples so much, although those little helpicopter seed pods are kind of a pain. But they're worth all the nice Fall color.

      Sorry to hear about the sirens - at least you know help will be there quickly if you ever need it!

      Delete
  6. Oh how I miss Missoula in the fall. I miss Missoula in general. Thanks for sharing these lovely photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the note Crystal. Hope things are going great for you in Reno.

      Delete
  7. WOW! Thanks for posting, Jenny! Your autumn colors are ahead of ours. Lovely!
    xx from Gracie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such beautiful colours. I do like autumn. The final blaze of colours before everything hibernates for winter :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. Hearing from you makes my day!