April 12, 2013

The roaring '20s

{or How I Wish I Was a Flapper}

Click here to listen to some quintessential 1920's music while you enjoy this post.







You know how I wanted to be an Olympic gymnast during the Olympics? And then how I was dying to be an American colonist and live in Williamsburg around Thanksgiving? Well, I recently watched the 1970's version of the movie The Great Gatsby and re-read the book in anticipation of the upcoming release of the movie remake, so (as one might expect) I am now wishing I lived in the 1920s. I've been oogling over the clothes, the hairstyles, the music (which I've always enjoyed anyway) and the trends of the era. What an interesting and crazy time in history.



Say, I'm due for a haircut and I always enjoy making it worth the money, maybe I'll go for a bobbed look. Did you know that the "bob" first made its appearance in the 1920s (it was quite controversial) and prompted the advent of the "bobby" pin?! Just a little tidbit I learned today.

The hats of the day were cloche hats. Gloves were popular, and the "character" shoe (a sturdy heeled dress shoe) became popular and is the shoe still worn by dancers today. We recently inherited a whole bunch of gloves that used to belong to Gary's grandmother. I should go through them and see if any would fit that era. I know some of them were made in France, so they certainly aren't cheap drugstore varieties.

I have sweet memories of my grandma singing "Bye Bye Blackbird" and dancing the Charleston for me once or twice when I was little. She would have been in elementary school in the 1920s but as the eleventh of twelve kids in her family I'm sure her older siblings were wearing the styles and listening to the music of the times. It's so fun for me to imagine what it was like in her little Pennsylvania town back then.

Speaking of the Charleston, here's a video of some '20s peeps shaking their groove thing.


The new Gatsby movie opens in May 10th in the U.S. and it's going to be in 3D (which I am actually disappointed about because 3D movies kinda irritate me, but hey - maybe it'll be cool). Plus I'm thrilled with the casting of (the oh-so-dashing) Leo DiCaprio as Jay Gatsby and (the adorable) Carey Mulligan as Daisy. I loved her in An Education.

Last night I said to Gary "I wonder if they'll ever figure out how to time travel." He just shook his head slowly and rolled his eyes. He's known me long enough to just to smile and hope I never get too whacky. And I've known him long enough to say "Well, if they ever do I'm going off and leaving you here, old sport." ;)

18 comments:

  1. Wonderful post Jenny; loved the music - made it even better! You would be a perfect flapper. Just don't get your eras mixed up and show up doing the Charleston in your Colonial attire! I didn't know about the remake of Gatsby or the origin of the bobby pin. I'm feelin' pretty knowledgeable this morning now! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'd be a good flapper too - you've got some sass. You and Vickie, I can see it now. :)

      Good point about potential century mixups - I'll have to be sure that I don't put on a flapper dress and end up traveling back to the 1700s. I'll be burned at the stake!

      Happy FRIDAY!

      Delete
  2. What a great post. I love the 20's too. I should post about it on my blog sometime; I have photos of costumes I sewed when I worked for my college's theatre department (an actual paying job, work-study) and we did a production of "All's Well That Ends Well" set in 1920's Italy. I loved making the dresses, they were complicated but awesome. I can't wait to watch the new Gatsby movie. It has always been one of my favorite books and I heart Carey Mulligan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, you must be an amazing seamstress. Those dresses do look complicated. I would love it if you posted pix sometimes of the dresses you made.

      Delete
  3. I am very excited about the new Gatsby film. I am going to see it with some of my book group chums. I studied the novel at school, and loved it. I have a great picture of Fitzgerald and Zelda on their wedding day. She looked wonderful.

    I, too, have been thinking about a radical change in the hair department. I have already had a bob (and dyed my blonde hair dark brown) when I was at University. I liked to think it was a bit Louise Brooks!!

    Lovely post, as always.

    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seeing the movie with bookish friends will be fun.

      I'm always changing up my hair and as much as I would love the Louise Brooks look I think it might be just a tad short for me. I may add an inch or two so I can still get it pulled back if needed.

      Delete
  4. We read The Great Gatsby for book group a while back and I really want to see the film. Those dresses are very, very pretty. I am always drawn to them but I read somewhere that you needed to be trim and boyish to carry off that style, and I am neither sadly. :-) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was reading that being flat-chested was very in and that people even taped themselves to look flatter. I would have fit right in! ;)

      Delete
  5. My mom was just a little girl in the 20's but her mom was a hat maker! I so wish I had some of the hats she made. They moved out West from Iowa in the 40's so most things got left behind. Fun post!

    http://northislandcottage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. That'll be interesting, to see a new Gatsby movie. I saw the first one at the movies when I was fifteen, with a friend. I loved the fashions then and love the beading and embellishments more now. Our house has ceilings which are from that era.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so cool Carol. Are they tin or other fancy tiles?

      Delete
  7. Enjoyed your post Jenny! Your mention of time travel reminds me of the movie *Somewhere in Time* with Christopher Reeves and Jane Seymour. Did you see it?
    It was a dreamy love story. Although it took place just a few years earlier than those racy 1920's, I often daydreamed what it would be like to be able to visit those earlier eras. I love the elegant fashion and lady like style of those times. I'll be in line for the new Gatsby movie next month.
    Happy Weekend, penny x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I remember seeing and loving "Somewhere in Time" when I was younger. I think part of my liking of "Downton Abbey" is for the fashions too. Although I'm not all that into current fashion I love the looks from days gone-by.

      Delete
  8. I too studied The Great Gatsby at school and loved the film with Robert Redford. Looking forward to seeing the new one as well.
    The fashions certainly were very beautiful and innovative freeing women from long dresses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Redford was a wonderful Gatsby and I thought Mia Farrow was great as Daisy - though quite unlikeable. I wonder if I'll feel as irritated with the new Daisy.

      Delete
  9. Can't wait for film to come to uk. Only read Gatsby last year and loved it. By the way just to say that yours is my favourite blog. Just read your post Emma's room. It's so like my daughter Kate's room - she also has a photo wall. Can I use your idea for a blog post. If she gives me permission to take photos that is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eleanor ~ so kind. Go right ahead and use the idea. By the way, my other daughter's name is Kate! :)

      Delete
  10. ooh the twenties were sooooo elegant!
    Bec x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. Hearing from you makes my day!